I am not a huge fan of windows, but it the operating system I have been running for the past 14 years (if you dont count college, or my current laptop… both were/are linux based). I have Windows Vista at home, and I have to use Windows XP at work.
Over the years, I have found programs that have worked for me. They have worked well, and helped me to get things done. I decided to make a list of the applications that I use on a rather regular basis. These are the things that I would for sure reinstall if my computer was to die tonight. Most of the software is free, and open source. As a result, many of the programs I am about to list also are available for Linux and Apple OSX. So here is the list of windows program that I love, in no particular order (expect Firefox, its at the top of the list)
- Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com)
Sooooo much better then internet explorer SO USE IT!
- Agent Ransack (http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack)
Soooo much better/faster then the built in windows file search
- Compare It (http://www.grigsoft.com)
Great tool for doing differences in files. helpful for programmers.
- notepad++ (http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net)
Simple and fast text editor
- audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net)
no frills audio editing.
- taskbar shuffle ( http://www.freewebs.com/nerdcave/taskbarshuffle.htm)
use this tool to reorder the running programs in the windows taskbar. super light weight
- infraRecorder (http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net)
awesome open source/free cd burner. The only one I use now
- AVG 7.5 Free (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/downloads-products/us/frt/0?prd=aff)
Norton can suck it
- adaware (http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download)
- spybot (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html)
- Flickr (http://www.flickr.com)
the place I host my pics
- Flickr Uploadr (http://www.flickr.com/tools)
how I upload my pics
- FlickrDown (http://greggman.com/pages/flickrdown.htm)
how I leech my friends pics
- skype (http://www.skype.com)
cool tool for talking to people
- prettymay (http://www.prettymay.net)
answering machine for skype! record/download mp3 copies of things
- soulseek (http://www.slsknet.org)
awesome application for finding full albums of music
- utorrent (http://www.utorrent.com)
my favorite torrent client, use with piratebay and isohunt FTW!
- syncback (http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbse.html)
an application that will copy your files to a removable hard drive on a scheduled basis. great tool.
- carbonite (http://www.carbonite.com)
$50 a year for unlimited off site backup? you better believe i use this. you should also!
- WordPress (http://www.wordpress.org)
if you have your own server, use this! if not, wordpress.com is for you
- Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.org)
I love this IDE, I do all my development in it now. These plugins really help get things done.
- cfeclipse (http://www.cfeclipse.org)
- phpeclipse (http://phpeclipse.sourceforge.com)
- subversive (subversion control) (http://www.eclipse.org/subversive)
- esftp (sftp control) (http://www.antimatter-studios.co.uk/sites/chris/projects/esftp)
- putty (http://www.putty.org)
simple and sweet ssh client
- Feedreader (http://www.feedreader.com)
one of the best desktop news readers I have used
- Filezilla (http://filezilla-project.org)
so much better then cuteftp
- BFK (http://sourceforge.net/projects/bfk)
this came in handy when the guy installing FIOS had to use my computer to “configure” the modem/router. pwned!